Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A fantastic jazz concert!

After work and a quick stop home, I went to Sitges to meet up with my supervisor to go to a jazz concert. We had seen some signs for cultural events in Sitges when he showed me around a few weeks ago, and we'd been talking about going to one of these concerts since then. And tonight we finally went!

And the concert was fantastic! There were three guys playing piano, double bass, and drums. They were all really good, and they made awesome faces while they were playing, especially the double bassist. I also liked that they explained their songs before they played them, with even an abbreviated explanation in English! Thanks to that, I know that they played a song that goes with the human-tower-building tradition, one that goes with a holiday that's coming up this weekend, one that's adapted from a Sardana (see my post about the Sardana dance), one that a guy wrote as a funerary march for himself when he thought he was going to die during the Spanish Civil War (he didn't die, at least not then), a love song, a Christmas song, and more. And they were all great! Here's a picture:

The concert was in the Cau Ferrat, which is a cool old building inside here:

After the concert, we wandered around the town for a while until I had to catch my train back. We encountered another musical event going on, which my supervisor said was a group that plays at the city hall. They were practicing, all on drums:

It was fun to listen to them. After that, we had enough time left to stop into a bar to try some tapas from the Basque Country (El PaĆ­s Vasco). Then he walked me to the train.

While I was waiting for the train, I heard two guys speaking in English with American accents, so my ears perked up and I talked to them. We ended up talking on the train all the way back to Barcelona Sants, and now I have two new friends! They might join me and the other people from school tomorrow night for dinner, which has been determined to be Indian food. Fun!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for good music and making friends!Also, what is the human-tower-building tradition?

    ReplyDelete