Monday, August 3, 2009

Cooking! (Believe it or not)

Today was another normal day at work, working on documenting my research so far. After work, I went to the library to return 3 of my books and go to the fruit and vegetable store that I like that's nearby.

At the fruit and vegetable store, instead of just getting fruit and salad vegetables, I got vegetables for cooking! My roommate had offered to help me cook something to use up the leftover potatoes and tomatoes from when my boyfriend cooked dinner. In case it wasn't already obvious, I'm not much of a cook. I can make pasta and other easy stuff, but once words like saute get in there, I'm out.

Anyway, so my roommate made me a shopping list and I went to get the vegetables after work. She told me to start chopping them and I chopped and chopped. Except I didn't really know what to do with the onion or - get this - the eggplant. I've never cooked with them before because I don't really like them. But it turned out to be ok. I chopped all the vegetables (peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, onion, zucchini, and eggplant), and my roommate sauteed the onion and then we dumped the rest of my chopped vegetables into the pot (the mushrooms came sliced, I didn't have to chop them):

Then she added water, oil, and spices, and we cooked it for a while, stirring occasionally. This is what it looked like when it was done:

Mmmm, looks good, huh? The potatoes got all mushy-delicious. If you know me in real life, don't get too excited, though, because these skills are not coming back to the US with me.

And that was that! My cooking adventure. I've got enough food for the whole week, it looks like.

Tomorrow, my supervisor and I are probably going to a jazz concert in Sitges as part of their Sitges Cultura festival. Wednesday might be a night out to dinner with some people from school, and Thursday my roommate and I are going to a movie. The Friday I fly to Sevilla! It should be another fun and busy week!

1 comment:

  1. I think we had some respectable cooking adventures last summer. Now that I'm like, a real person, I'm hoping to further my cooking skillz. So far I've just been practicing things we did last year (like steaming broccoli and cooking corn in the microwave!. But sometimes I supplement those things with something from the freezer like a hotpocket. I think that takes away from my cooking street cred. But you've inspired me to try a stir fry next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete