Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sunday: Swimming and the Dali Museum

Sunday morning, I woke up feeling a bit more sick, but my dad and I decided to go swimming with the hope that the cool water might help lower my fever. Right. We swam a little, then went back to the apartment, ate a little, and decided to go to the Dalí museum despite my impending sickness.

After a small incident of taking the wrong train (you'd think I'd have learned after the last time!), we got on our way to Figueres, the hometown of Salvador Dalí and the location of the Teatre-Museu Gala Salvador Dalí. It's hard to describe the place, but if you're familiar with Dalí at all, you probably have a good idea of why it's hard to describe. Here's the (relatively normal-looking) entrance:

Apparently from a different side of the building it's pink with huge egg-like things on top, but we didn't see that side. There are a lot of strange things in the Dalí museum, and Dalí himself is buried in the basement in a crypt. The building was the town's theater before the Spanish Civil War, hence the name. Dalí revamped it and filled it with all different types of his art. Somewhere outside I think there's a Dalí's jewels exhibit, but we didn't have time to see that. Here are some more pictures from the museum:

And, for the scale of that painting, check out the people in this one:

In this one, if you squint, you can see Abraham Lincoln, and if you look closely, you can see Gala, Dalí's wife, from behind:

Here's one of the Mae West room:

The story with that is that Dalí really liked her attitude, so he made a room that looked like her when viewed from a special angle up some stairs. Her mouth is a couch, her nose is what appears to be sort of like a fireplace, her eyes are paintings or photographs of eyes, her hair is a big curtain, her earrings are drape-y things, her skin is the floor and the wall, and so on. It's pretty crazy, but what of his stuff isn't?

Here's one more picture, but I have tons more:

We left the museum, but I wasn't feeling so well, and we started walking back to the station but only made it part of the way before I threw up. We got some tylenol-like thing from a nearby pharmacy, and after a while I made it the rest of the way to the train. The train ride was 2 hours in each direction. Needless to say, we got back and I went straight to sleep.

All this week I've gone in to work late, some days because I felt too sick in the morning and some days because I wasn't sure yet and figured it was better to get a bit more rest before testing my body. Today I'm finally feeling better, but there's still a ways to go.

A quick recap of Monday through today:

Monday when I got home from work we went to the same restaurant again. Here is a picture of dessert:

Tuesday was pretty uneventful. My dad left in the morning, and my boyfriend and I were going to go to the beach after I finished at work, but I felt too sick to go to the beach. He came to meet me at work, then we went home and I took a nap while he cooked dinner. After dinner, we watched a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother on DVD, and he packed, and that was that.

Wednesday morning he left, I was sick, and I did almost nothing after getting home from work. I probably left an imprint on the couch.

Thursday (today) has been pretty similar to yesterday, but I'm feeling a bit better. I went to the fruit and vegetable store and bought, among other things, a couple of really expensive avocados. I haven't been as short of money lately as I thought I was going to be, so I figured an avocado splurge was probably ok. I've only got a little more than 2 weeks left here, so I think my budget is going to work out!

Tomorrow's Friday, and my friend is arriving from Italy. I think her being here will finally be the occasion I need to go inside Casa Milà, which so far I've only seen from the outside. Other than that, we might try to go to Palau Güell (different from Park Güell), or maybe the Picasso Museum, or whatever else she feels like doing. She's here until Sunday, but hopefully she won't make me wake up too early on the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment