Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Feeling better, and catch-up

I'm feeling better today, and work went well, so I'm going to write a catch-up post to make up for the last few days.

On Sunday, I was feeling pretty well, so I decided to try to go for a short run. I've also been feeling like I haven't seen enough touristy things, so I decided to run (with my camera) to Casa Milà, also known as La Pedrera. Casa Milà is one of the apartment houses designed by Antoni Gaudí. Here's a picture:


Further down the street (the famous Passeig de Gràcia), on my way to the Illa de la Discòrdia (Block of Discord), I spotted this in a window:

I don't think that was intentional.

The Block of Discord is composed of three houses designed by the three most important Modernisme architects (don't tell the others!), and it's named that way because residents felt that the three houses appeared to be fighting with each other because they're so different. The one in the middle of this picture is by Gaudí, and the one on the left, which is under construction apparently, is by Josep Puig i Cadafalch:


Here's a close-up of the Gaudí:


Here's what the one under construction looks like up close (also, you can look at it on wikipedia):

This one is by Lluís Domènech i Montaner:

As you can see, they are three very different-looking houses. I believe you can go into all of them, plus Casa Milà (for sure), as a tourist. You might have to pay, but I didn't find out because I was sweaty and wearing running clothes. Something to consider for future weeks, perhaps.

That evening was the much-awaited 4th of July party (yes, on July 12th). I had worried that no one would come due to the rescheduling, but as you can see, we had a pretty good turnout! I'm not even in this picture, so one more!

We had a picnic on the beach and then went to a restaurant when it got dark. I'm not sure how people had any appetite after our picnic, but somehow everyone else was still hungry. Maybe I wasn't hungry because I was sick :(

Eventually, we went home. I had been planning to take the bus, but two of my coworkers gave me a ride, which was really nice.

I've already mentioned this, but to get things in order, that was Sunday. On Monday, I went to work and got sick and went back home, and now it's Tuesday. I went to work and didn't get sick, so that was an improvement. Other than that, it's been a pretty quiet day. Tomorrow evening my friend and I are thinking of going to a jazz concert. And then on Friday my dad arrives!

Lastly, I miss getting comments! If you have anything to say, you're already here! Tell me something!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline! I'm glad you're feeling better. It sucks being sick and not being at home. I put some of my fireworks pictures up on my flickr account: www.flickr.com/photos/frhughes , and I put some graduation pictures up on my MIT webspace: web.mit.edu/frh/Public/pictures . I don't know why I decided to put everything in different places.

    Didn't anyone have a plan when they decided to build all those houses next to each other? It's like the Stata Center, with weird different bits coming out of everywhere. Ok, it's not that bad. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're feeling better, because we get such better blog posts when you're not sick! Oh, and also, I'm glad for your sake too :)

    Wow, those houses look so cool. Maybe we can go back there and go inside when I come to visit. I'm very impressed with all your architectural knowledge, you can be my tour guide. I can't wait to see you in only 1 week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline!! I'm glad you are better! Barcelona looks so amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, sorry it probably isn't obvious, but it's vidya here :-P

    ReplyDelete