Friday, June 26, 2009

I went to the library!

Sorry for the delay in posting, but our internet is in the process of being “fixed”, which means right now it’s not working and I have to post this from work. It should be fixed by tonight, hopefully. Pretend you’re reading this yesterday, though.

I went to the library today! I was very proud of myself, because the majority of the things there (books, signs, computers, etc.) were in Catalan. But I asked the librarian if there were any books in English, and he pointed me in the right direction. I picked out three books in English, since I finished my last one on Wednesday. Also, I got a Lonely Planet guidebook for Europe to take to Greece, and it’s in Spanish, which will be good practice for me. I thought I wasn’t going to be able to check the books out since I don’t have a DNI or NIE identification number, and I didn’t even have my passport with me. Luckily, they let me use my U.S. driver’s license, and now I have a library card!

On my way home, I was walking by a fruits and vegetables shop and realized that nectarines were especially cheap, so I got two and the total was only €0,18! I ate one as I was walking back. Around that time, it tried to rain, but it didn’t get going too well, just a little sprinkle.

When I got back, I asked my roommate (who is half Greek, and at least trilingual) to teach me some basic words in Greek so that I can get by in Athens. We made up a pretty good list, and my studies in ancient Greek after the Latin AP exam sort of come in handy for pronouncing the words based on the letters.

Tonight is my flight to Athens! I’m very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment