Friday, September 18, 2009

I haven't posted in a while

Hello anyone who's still reading this! I haven't posted in a while, but things have still been going on. My boyfriend and I moved into our new apartment, grad school started, I've visited with friends, and I took up crew, among other things. I'm having a great time so far this school year, but things are quite busy. I'm taking two classes and a seminar, and all of them require a fair amount of reading. (That might actually be an understatement.) Anyway, I'm enjoying them, and I'm really enjoying crew, the apartment, and having an office. I feel like a real person! Who still goes to classes.

Today at "work" (if you can call it that, I'm not sure how to refer to grad school), we cleaned out our office and put some new things in there. Some of the stuff we got rid of looked like it hadn't been touched, much less cleaned, in the last 15 years. It's a lot cleaner now, but it's also sort of bare. I need to bring some more pictures and posters to put up. We also had a teleoperations team meeting, where we discussed an article about sleep processes that we had read. Next week, we're going to Brigham and Women's Hospital to see the suite where they do sleep studies. The idea is that it will give us a better idea of what we're working with for our research, which addresses fatigue in space telerobotics.

Crew has been surprisingly fun, even though it's quite hard. In just a week and a half of practice, I've felt like I was going to throw up several times. It feels good to be finally getting back in shape, and learning to row makes me feel really cool. For some reason, I feel like those people in ancient times who were rowing those huge boats, even though our novice team is not even coordinated enough to have all 8 of us rowing at once. There are 12 people on the team so far, including the coxswain. I'm not sure how that's going to work out, since only 8 can be rowing in a boat at once. Luckily for me, I'm pretty sure I'm safe. I'm hoping that once I get coordinated, perhaps in the spring, I can be on the varsity team. I really like the people on the team so far, so that's good. They're mostly freshmen, but there are also a couple of sophomores and a junior, which makes me not feel as old. Ironically, they all thought I was a freshman. Is that ironic? I'm not sure. But the point is, I still look like I'm 18. Oh well. I'll try to put up some crew-related pictures soon, but I'm not sure I'll get around to it.

There's more to say, but I'm not sure anyone is still reading this, so I'm going to call it a night. If you're still reading, leave me a comment or send me an email, and I'll keep writing!

3 comments:

  1. I'm still reading, and I'm so excited that you're doing crew! I'm going to be in Boston for Head of the Charles, so I hope to get to see you row, or at least get to hang out with you!

    ReplyDelete